In 2006, while Togo was elaborating its comprehensive multi-year plan for immunization (cMYP), its GAVI application for the introduction of the hepatitis B antigen into the Expanded Program on Immunization (EPI) was accepted, subject to clarifications. In this context, the Ministry of Health of Togo requested AMP’s technical assistance to develop its cMYP and to respond to GAVI's information requests.
The specific objectives of AMP's support included:
- Responding to GAVI questions concerning the addition of hepatitis B antigen (e.g., economic and financial feasibility, budgeting and financial plans for vaccination startup activities)
- Elaborating an action plan for the creation of a cMYP
- Training local teams in using GAVI’s cost and financing tools and analyzing the EPI's economic and financial situation
- Developing EPI financing data collection tools
- Defining economic and financial strategies to improve EPI financial feasibility (strategies, objectives, activities, programming)
- Modifying Togo's cMYP